Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Permitted

I have learned more about lateral bracing, foundation tie-downs, structural speciality code, 16 inches o.c., and high efficiency ducting than I ever thought I would need to.  Frankly, I hadn't heard of any of these a month ago.  But in the process of drawing up plans to submit to the city for a building permit I have mastered them all.  (Special thanks to my dad for loaning me his plans and coaching me over the phone!)  Handing in the building application was like handing in my master's thesis - I had to just wait and hope I would pass.  And Monday I got the call - a passing grade.  Phew...



We now have the magic florescent green sticker posted at our front walk that indicates a permit and the (de)construction has begun in earnest.  This morning Jeff knocked down the porch roof and by dark had everything down to the floor; now we have a deck :)  The crash of the roof falling apparently reverberated through the neighborhood and one of our new neighbors came over from across the street to make sure we were o.k.  Such nice people here!

Hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving and get to eat your favorite foods.  We have plans to have a Thanksgiving picnic on the floor of our new house.  Turkey sandwiches with cranberry sauce, pumpkin soup, apple sauce, and peach pie.  Yum!  We had thought earlier that we'd feast on our porch but the porch no longer exists, so we will have to eat inside.  That will be warmer which is nice.  It will be a Turkey Day to remember, with much to be thankful for.  Building permits, for one.

No comments: