Monday, November 17, 2008

it's beginning

The cast iron tub is in the middle of the master bedroom, listing on its side due to two lost claw feet.  A large hole gapes in the window pane in the back bedroom.  Insulation blows lazily around, inside and outside the house.  The house seems to sigh.

I think it's a sigh of relief and anticipation.  This is progress after all!  We have owned this house for a  month and in that time have taken the inside down to the studs and removed the topmost layer of exterior siding.
When I say "we" I refer partially to Jeff and I but mostly to a couple of guys we hired from craigslist who have done a lot of messy work for us.  Because, really, who would want to take down ceilings with attic insulation falling all over you like dusty, dirty snow?

We have discovered that the past owners of this house never threw anything out.  Instead, when they wanted a change they just layered.  And layered and layered.  We found that clawfoot tub inside a "built in," to make it look more modern, I suppose.  I can't tell you how many layers of flooring we have (and still are) peeling up.  My favorite was a linoleum-type flooring made to look like a rug.  I'm not sure I can explain it well.  It was as though someone had photographed
a wall-to-wall carpet and reproduced that photo on this flooring. Cheaper and easier to clean than real carpet I imagine!  I'm glad we've decided to keep the hardwood floors, though....

No comments: